Sunday, March 8, 2015

When you see all the beauty in the world...

Réglisse Noire by 1000 Flowers


Surfing among the topics of many perfume forums like fragrantica you definitely find treads like "what smells do you like" and it indicates to smells that are not encapsulated in perfume form (I'm wonder if there's any Demeter hasn't worked on!) and you find many interesting answers: "car smog in the first minutes in winter morning", "freezer icy vapor", "swamp", "newly constructed building", etc. One of those I'm seriously in love is the smell of fish restaurants in Turkey that serve booze and this mixture of booze, fish, and meze (booze-mate small dishes of appetizers) is hilarious. I really love to sniff through. The booze itself smells great though many people tolerate it when they drink! It's Rakı; the famous Turkish distilled anise-flavored spirit from grapes with approximately %40 vol. I'm crazy about its smell cause I simply adore anise's smell. Also beside this a famous variety of Greek sibling booze is Ouzo which is again an anise flavored beverage from grape skin.

Two bottles of Altınbaş Rakı, my favorite brand!

Of course a beverage contains high level of alcohol which is apparently different to that of a perfume, yet, Réglisse Noire has strong similarity to the beverage and it's because high drench of anise to it; a tiny but strong common point.
Réglisse Noire is the first official attempt that Jessica Buchanan introduced to perfume world which for being an artistic indie-niche creation it's pretty unknown, however, it has own great fans.

Although it's named "Black Licorice" yet it's full of exciting feelings.
Licorice, shiso leaves, star anise, mint, white pepper, ozone, vanilla, cacao, patchouli, ginger, vetiver, and musk.
What I adore about Réglisse Noire opens with zesty mentholated slightly sour anise and peppery notes that transforms into more developed platform: cacao blossoms and it gives sort of minute sweetness (technically balanced, disciplined and very elaborate) and then licorice with its realistic bitterness empowers. Boy, I fell I'm having licorice sticks! I strongly believe Réglisse Noire is the the most natural licorice smell I've ever encountered and even though I'm not a fan of realistic notes in perfumery I seriously cannot deny its beauty. When the perfume sunsets it actually stays on skin with heavenly animalic musky vibe juxtaposed with silky vanilla with kind of marine air.


Réglisse Noire is a simple composition in fact but this level of masterly using of notes without any parasite is only happens by endeavor. It's a monotone sheer spicy woody oriental fragrance with zesty top and fluffy vanilla foundation. Of course line all perfumes it consists some man-made ingredients but the reality level of natural ingredients is much much bigger than to be compared even to the synthetic side. This is its livelihood and optimistic spirit that makes me in love. I imagine wearing white linens and walking in evening in coastal towns on south of Turkey and watching how azure Mediterranea turns to dark. I want to have Réglisse Noire on me for my next trip when I feel the sea's divine breeze streaming in my shirt.
To deliver it better maybe this does help if I example Réglisse Noire's live and extrovert manner to vivid colors of David Hockney's art and exact ratios and proportions of Caravaggio's paintings; yes, it's a liquid painting, a liquid rhapsody.

The feel this painting inspire is so great, it has a live atmosphere that I sense the same in Réglisse Noire.
David Hockney, A Bigger Splash, 1967

Réglisse Noire is not royal nor sexy nor supreme niche "oh my god" scent. It's modest, peaceful, homey, cozy and straight. You may have a lot of alternatives in mind for any category you like to wear but Réglisse Noire is a mandatory perfume you don't need to think twice if you're in licorice and anise. And as the artist indicates Réglisse Noire is about bridging two worlds: high-tech synthetics with ozonic accords (Helional) at one side and natural notes at the other; and how masterly Jessica merges these two!

Carpe Odor!

Post a Comment